- Need Help? Give us a call: (868) 622 9634
Rules and Guidelines for the 2017Art Competition
Theme: “Trinidad and Tobago: Naturally Beautiful!”
All young artists, and primary and secondary school students are eligible to enter. Entries must be original works of art created in 2017. The competition is open to the following age groups:
• 5-10 years
• 11-14 years
• 15-18 years
Entrants are required to submit artwork that represents the “Three R`s: Reduce, Reuse and Recycle”. The pieces should demonstrate the benefits of protecting the environment, while showing the dangers of disrespecting the Earth.
Objectives of the Competition
• Develop a Visual Arts activity for youth, through which to foster knowledge and appreciation of the benefits of being a member of the Credit Union movement.
• Support the creativity of young people through Culture and Arts
• Help develop important life-skills for young artists
• Provide financial support to young artists and their schools as an incentive for participation and to inspire excellence in the arts.
• Deepen BECU’s involvement with its youth membership.
Competition Rules and Submission Details
• Submission deadline has been extended to 2pm, Monday October 16, 2017. Artwork must be dropped off to BECU, Angelina St and Bournes Rd., St. James by the deadline.
• All entries must be submitted with an entry form. Forms are available on the BECU’s website www.becuonline.com.
• Entries must be accompanied by a short explanation of the piece, 50-100 words.
• Each participant may submit a maximum of two (2) art pieces.
• All entries must be submitted in Landscape (horizontal) format only. Portrait (vertical) entries will be disqualified.
• Entries must not be smaller than Letter size (8.5” x 11”).
• Art pieces are to be submitted flat. Do not roll or fold.
• Media: Acrylic, Water colour, Ink, Gouache, Oil, Pencil, Pen, Charcoal, Pastel, and Poster Paints. Recycled materials may be used. Craft materials such as glitter, cotton, paper balls, popcorn, pasta and so on may not be included as part of the artwork.
• Materials: canvas, water colour paper, stag blank, sketch pad paper.
• All participants are required to attend an artistic skills and financial literacy workshop jointly hosted by BECU and its partners in this competition – Environmental Management Authority (EMA), T&T National Commission for UNESCO & Art Society of T&T.
The artwork will be judged by an expert panel in the following categories:
• Artistic composition
• Overall Impression
• Relevance to the theme
• Cash Prizes will be awarded in all categories as follows:
• Individual Submissions
• Most School Submissions
• Most Selected Pieces (School prize)
• Artists retain full ownership of their work.
• By submitting works to this competition, artists grant permission to Bank Employees’ Credit Union to use their art in its 2018 Calendar. This calendar will be distributed to schools, clients and members of BECU and to the partners supporting the competition.
• Permission is further granted for display of the artwork on BECU’s website and online and social media fora, as well as on the websites and social media fora of the partners.
• All original artwork will be returned to artists.